- 1 bar (100 g) Lindt EXCELLENCE 70% Cacao Dark Chocolate
- 1 tsp (5 mL) instant coffee or finely ground espresso powder (optional)
- 1 ½ cups (375 mL) all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (125 mL) unsweetened pure cocoa powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
- ¼ tsp (1.25 mL) salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) vegan butter (can substitute with regular butter, if desired)
- 1 cup (250 mL) white granulated sugar
- ½ cup (125 mL) brown sugar
- ½ cup (125 mL) ripe mashed banana
- ½ cup (125 mL) unsalted tahini
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
- 1 cup (250 mL) sesame seeds for garnish
Place the chocolate and coffee into a heatproof bowl over a medium pot of barely simmering water. Melt the chocolate, stirring occasionally. Allow to cool for at least 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, sift flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt and whisk together. Set aside.
Using a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, or a hand mixer, beat the butter and sugars on high until pale and fluffy, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add the mashed bananas and mix until combined. Then beat in the tahini and the vanilla extract.
Slowly pour in the combined melted chocolate and coffee into the wet ingredients.
Stir in the dry flour mix on low speed for about 20 to 30 seconds. Do not overmix.
Using a spoon or ice-cream scoop, form approximately 30 cookie dough balls measuring about 1.5-inches each. Roll all the cookie dough balls in the sesame seeds, place on a lined cookie tray.
Flatten the dough balls into discs about ½-inch thickness with a fork or the bottom of a small tumbler glass.
Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 1 hour or overnight in the fridge. Alternatively you can chill blast them in the freezer for 20 minutes.
When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Spread cookies about 2-inches apart on a baking tray and bake for 10 minutes or until cookies have spread out to about ¼-inch thickness.
TIP: Baked cookies store well for a week in an airtight container and can be frozen for up to two months.