- 1 tsp (5 mL) white vinegar
- ½ cup milk (125 mL)
- 1 cup (250 mL) flour
- 1 ¼ cups (310 mL) sugar
- ⅓ cup (80 mL) unsweetened Dutch process cocoa powder
- ½ tsp (3 mL) baking soda
- ¼ tsp (1.25 mL) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp (1.25 mL) salt
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup (125 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 bar (100 g) Lindt Excellence 78% Cacao Dark Chocolate, chopped
- 1 bar (100 g) Lindt Excellence 85% Cacao Dark Chocolate, chopped
- 3 sticks of unsalted butter (125 g each), room temperature
- 5-6 cups (250 mL per cup) of icing sugar, well sifted
- ½ cup (125 mL) heavy cream, room temperature
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Add 1 tsp (5 mL) of white vinegar to a ½ cup (125 mL) of milk and allow to sit for 1 minute.
Place the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, vanilla and salt in a bowl and blend until well incorporated. Add the eggs, milk and vinegar mixture, and vegetable oil to the bowl and mix well with a spatula until no dry bits remain.
Add in the chopped chocolate and stir to combine, but do not overmix.
Using paper-lined muffin tin (paper baking cups), scoop the batter evenly among the 12 units. Place the muffin tin in the oven on the centre rack and bake for approximately 20-25 minutes or until the cake bounces back when you touch it gently (oven temperatures vary so the best way to test doneness is when a cake springs back when touched). Let cool completely before frosting.
Melt chocolate. Set aside.
Place the butter in the bowl of a kitchen stand mixer and, using the paddle attachment, mix on medium speed for 5 minutes or until creamy. Add in ½ cup of sugar at a time alternating with a tablespoon of the heavy cream.
Once all is incorporated add in the melted and cooled chocolate and blend for an additional 3-4 minutes on medium. If the frosting is too soft to pipe add a little bit more sugar. If it is too heavy, add a bit more cream. (Weather and indoor temperature can affect the consistency of the frosting.)
To frost the cupcakes, either use a soup spoon and dollop on a heaping portion using the back of the spoon to make a swirl, or, using a rubber spatula, place all the frosting into a piping bag with your preferred tip and pipe frosting directly onto the 12 cakes. Keeps for 4 days in a tightly sealed container.