Dark chocolate and gooey caramel combine in these decadent salty-sweet desserts.
- 18 frozen ready to bake 3-inch tart shells
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) water
- 3/4 cup (185 ml) granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) corn syrup
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) crème fraiche
- 2 x 100g Lindt EXCELLENCE Dark Caramel Sea Salt bars, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- Caramel - 1 cup (250 ml) granulated sugar
- 3 Tbsp (45 ml) water
- 2/3 cup (150 ml) 35% cream, room temperature
- 1 tsp (5 ml) pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) kosher salt
- Garnish - Flaky sea salt, such as Maldon Salt
Preheat oven to 325°F. Place aluminum-lined tart shells on large baking sheet.
Prick the bottom of each tart shell 3 or 4 times with fork.
Bake shells for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool completely. Set aside.
Combine sugar, water and syrup in small saucepan.
Brush sides of saucepan down with pastry brush dipped in water to prevent the sugar from crystallizing. Continue to cook until caramel starts to turn dark golden brown, 6 to 8 minutes over medium heat.
Take off heat and mix in butter. Be careful as this might bubble and splatter. Mix in crème fraiche and chocolate. Stir until mixture is smooth.
Spoon warm chocolate caramel into prepared tart shells. Set aside.
Place sugar and water in small saucepan over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes or until dark golden brown.
Take off heat and add half of cream, stirring vigorously. Add remaining cream, vanilla and salt and stir again vigorously.
Place back on heat and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes stirring constantly to thicken caramel.
Remove from heat again, allow to cool before transferring caramel to an airtight container.
Drizzle caramel over tarts, and sprinkle with flaky sea salt.
Serve tarts immediately.
NOTE: Tarts and caramel sauce can be kept in airtight containers in fridge for up to a week. Bring tarts and caramel sauce up to room temperature when ready to serve.