LINDOR Layer Cake
It's a chocolate lover's dream: dark chocolate layers and frosting with a LINDOR Milk Chocolate Truffle garnish.
Lindt LINDOR Milk Chocolate Truffles Bag, 150g
- CHOCOLATE CAKE
- ¾ cup (180 mL) vegetable oil, more for greasing pans
- 2 cups (500 mL) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2½ cups (625 mL) all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup (180 mL) cocoa powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
- ½ tsp (3 mL) sea salt
- 1½ cups (375 mL) cold water
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) pure vanilla extract
- 1 bar (100 g) Lindt EXCELLENCE 70% Cacao Dark Chocolate, finely chopped
- CHOCOLATE FROSTING
- 3½ bars (100 g each) Lindt EXCELLENCE 70% Cacao Dark Chocolate, roughly chopped
- 1 cup (250 mL) unsalted butter, room temperature
- ¼ cup (60 mL) cocoa powder
- ½ cup (125 mL) icing sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup (60 mL) whipping cream
- ¼ cup (60 mL) sour cream
- 50 Lindor Milk Chocolate Truffles (optional)
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C) and grease two 8-inch (20-cm) round cake pans with vegetable oil.
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat together vegetable oil with sugar, then add eggs, 1 at a time.
In a medium bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Gradually add flour mixture to egg mixture in stand mixer, alternating with water. Beat well and add 1 tbsp (15 mL) vanilla, then stir in chopped chocolate (1 bar).
Divide batter equally between 2 prepared cake pans and bake until a cake tester comes out clean, about 40 to 45 minutes. Remove from pans to a wire rack and let cool for at least 1 hour.
To make the frosting, melt the chopped chocolate (3½ bars) in a double boiler, or in short 20- to 30-second spurts in a bowl in the microwave, stirring every 20 seconds. This should take about 2 minutes total. Chocolate shouldn’t be 100% melted. Let cool to room temperature.
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine butter with cocoa and icing sugar and beat until thoroughly combined. Add vanilla, whipping cream, sour cream and cooled chocolate, and beat together until fluffy, about 2 minutes, occasionally scraping sides.
Unwrap 50 LINDOR Chocolate Truffles and have them at the ready. Using a serrated knife, slice the very top off of each cooled cake so that they are flat. Place 1 cake on a cake plate, cut side up, and smooth a big dollop of frosting, about ½ cup (125 mL) overtop. Place the second cake overtop, cut side down, making sure cakes are centred and even.
Now generously frost the top and sides of the cake – the frosting is the glue for the truffles. Place a row of Lindor Milk Chocolate Truffles around the base of the cake, gently pressing into the frosting. Then add another row around the top edge of the cake. Slice and enjoy!
Write Your Own Review