Lindt Finnish Pinwheel Cookies
Lindt LINDOR Milk Chocolate Truffles Bag, 240g
- 1 cup (250 mL) unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup (125 mL) Redpath® Granulated Sugar
- ½ cup (125 mL) Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar (light brown sugar), packed
- 1 pkg (250 g) cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 large eggs, divided
- 1 tsp (5 mL) pure peppermint or vanilla extract
- 3¼ cups (810 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
- ½ tsp (3 mL) salt
- 1 bag (150 g) Lindor Milk Mint Chocolate Truffles, or 10 Lindor Chocolate Truffles in preferred flavour, sliced in half.
- ½ bar (50 g) Lindt Excellence 70% Cacao Dark Chocolate, chopped
- ½ cup (125 mL) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups (500 mL) Redpath® Icing Sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) whipping cream or milk
Place butter and sugars in the bowl of a stand mixer (or use a large bowl with an electric hand mixer), and beat on medium-high speed, scraping down sides, 1 minute. Add cream cheese, 1 egg and peppermint (or vanilla) extract. Beat on medium-high until light, fluffy and smooth, 2 minutes.
In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Tip flour mixture into butter mixture. Mix on low speed until dough comes together.
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Working with 1 square at a time, roll out dough to ¼ inch (6 mm) thick to form a larger square. If sticky, flour countertop and top of dough. Using a knife, cut off edges to create straight sides. Cut dough into 3 x 3-inch (7.5 cm x 7.5-cm) squares; use a cookie cutter if you have one. Transfer squares to parchment-lined baking sheets, about 1 inch (2.5 cm) apart. Working with 1 square at a time, make 1-inch (2.5-cm) slits on each corner diagonally into the centre of the cookie. Whisk remaining egg in a bowl. Brush egg wash over cookie. Press the left side of every cut slit into the centre of the cookie, pressing to seal, to form a pinwheel. Brush top with egg wash. Chill for 15 minutes. Repeat with remaining squares of dough. Re-roll scraps.
Bake cookies until just golden on the edges, about 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool on baking sheets.
When cookies are cool, make icing. Melt Lindt Excellence 70% Cacao Dark Chocolate. Set aside to cool. Place butter, icing sugar, cocoa powder and cream in the bowl of a stand mixer (or use a large bowl with an electric hand mixer) and beat on low speed until combined. Scrape in cooled chocolate. Beat on medium-high speed until fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Place icing in a piping bag fitted with a ¼-inch (6-mm) star piping tip. Squeeze a bit of icing in the centre of a cookie. Top with ½ a Lindor Chocolate Truffle. Pipe around the Lindor Truffle, to look like a wreath. Continue with remaining cookies.
Write Your Own Review