Mexican Mole Sauce
Lindt EXCELLENCE 99% Cacao Dark Chocolate Bar, 50 Grams
1 hour 15 minutes
- 3 oz (85g) dry ancho chilies, seeded
- 3 tbsp (45mL) vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp (5mL) cinnamon
- 1 tsp (5mL) dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp (2.5mL) ground cloves
- 2 tbsp (30mL) raisins or dry currants
- 1 tin (398 mL) fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 tsp (5mL) ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp (1mL) ground anise
- 1 tsp (5mL) ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp (1mL) thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp (15mL) sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp (30mL) pumpkin seeds
- 3 tbsp (45mL) natural peanut butter
- 4 chipotles in adobo
- 6 squares (60g) Lindt Excellence 99% Cacao Dark Chocolate, broken into pieces
- 2 cups (500mL) high-quality chicken stock
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Lindt Chocolate In This Recipe
Place 3 cups (750mL) water in a small pot and add seeded ancho chilies. Bring water to a low boil, then turn heat to medium-low and simmer until chilies are softened (about 10 minutes). Remove chilies from the water but do not discard water.
Heat vegetable oil in a pan. Add onion and cook until translucent. Add 1/2 tsp (2.5mL) salt and garlic and cook two more minutes. Add cinnamon and oregano, stir and cook for 1 minute. Add fire-roasted tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes. Add all remaining spices, along with the Lindt Excellence 99% cacao dark chocolate pieces, pumpkin seeds, raisins, sesame seeds, peanut butter, chipotles and a large pinch of salt. Stir well. At this point you can add some liquid to loosen the mixture – some of the chili water as well as some of the chicken stock just to liquefy slightly and to help blend.
Place entire mixture in the bowl of a food processor and blend until fairly smooth (about 2 minutes), scraping down sides as needed.
Return to pan and add chicken stock until you have the desired ketchup-like consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste and cook on low for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. The sauce can be used immediately or can be refrigerated for one week in an airtight container. When ready to use you can add chicken stock to thin it.
Write Your Own Review